Student Insurance Home

Graphical Version

Student Insurance


Students Must Waive or Enroll Annually--Students who waived Fall, 2016 do not need to waive again until Fall, 2017.

The 1095-B Tax Form: Your unique health insurance verification

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act includes a requirement that many people have health insurance or pay a penalty. Compliance with this mandate is administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)*. The IRS requires health insurance companies to report the individuals they covered per tax year. The reports need to include Social Security Numbers (SSN) or International Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) to distinguish unique individuals. Insurance companies are also required to give individuals a copy of what they have reported, in the form of a tax form called 1095B. *Information on this page shoud not be considered tax advice or guidance.

For 2016-17 members and tax year 2016:

UnitedHealthcare Student Resources is the current provider for 2016-2017 coverage. To confirm your information:

Visit and log in or create your MyAccount.
Once logged in, use the left navigation bar to navigate to the Tax Information, My Personal Information, and Email Preferences areas to enter and/or confirm the following information: Name; SSN or ITIN; Date of Birth; Mailing Address; Email Address.
Under Tax Information, you can select electronic or paper delivery of your 1095B.  You may also print your 1095B.
UHCSR contact information: 866.458.4954. Please note that customer service representatives will not be able to collect your Social Security Number over the phone.

Please note: Dependent coverage is not  available through the Student Health Insurance Plan.

STUDENTS GRADUATING FALL SEMESTER, 2016 and enrolled in the SHIP will have coverage until January 9, 2017.

 We are unable to continue coverage after this date.

If you need coverage after graduation, you have several options:

1.) Coverage with an employer.  If you are starting a new job that offers health insurance, check with your employer to see what you need to do and when to enroll.

2.) Coverage under parent's health insurance.  Because your SHIP coverage ends on January 9, 2017, this can be considered a qualifying event, which may allow you to obtain coverage under your parent's health insurance if you are under age 26.

3.) Explore coverage options through a reputable online source, such as:
or a major health insurance carrier that offers Individual Health Insurance policies

**TO NOTE: When considering an exchange plan, specifically ask when your new health insurance coverage will start. To avoid any potential gaps in coverage if you choose a plan on or a private exchange, you may need to enroll by December 19, 2016 for a plan that will start on January 1, 2017.

Also, when enrolling with another health insurance company or through an exchange, you may be asked to provide documentation showing when prior health insurance coverage ended. Contact United HealthCare Student Resources at 866.458.4954 for a “certificate of coverage”. This will show the effective dates for the 2016 policy year for the SHIP.  UHCSR will email or mail you this form. Please call to request a certificate of coverage (also known as a notice of termination) to use with another health insurance carrier.

As you plan ahead to ensure you have coverage after your coverage ends, before you buy any plan, carefully review the medical and prescription drug benefits offered, the list of in and out of network of providers, and how much you should expect to pay out of your pocket in the form of deductibles, copays, or coinsurance.

If you have any questions, please contact our office by email at, by phone at 303.273.3388, or in person in Room 207 of the Wellness Center at 1770 Elm Street, Golden CO 80401.


To support the educational mission of the Colorado School of Mines and the academic success of our students by offering high quality health insurance, at a reasonable cost.

Health Insurance Requirement
Colorado School of Mines is committed to the health and well-being of all of its students. Good health is essential to academic success. The Colorado School of Mines has required students to have adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment since 1991. No distinction is made for part-time versus full-time status. Degree-seeking U. S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students who demonstrate coverage that meets CSM requirements may waive the SHIP provided by CSM using the online enrollment/waiver system. Information on coverage requirements can be found the "MEASURE UP" page.

2016-2017 Policy Summary Information from UnitedHealthCare StudentResources

PDF version

Text only version

2016-2017 Policy Information from UnitedHealthCare StudentResources

PDF version

Text only version

2015-2016 Policy Summary Information from UnitedHealthCare StudentResources

PDF version

Text only version

2015-2016 Policy Information from UnitedHealthCare StudentResources

PDF version

Text only version

2014-2015 Policy Information from UnitedHealthCare StudentResources

Annual Enrollment
A student's enrollment into the Student Health Insurance Program is an annual selection. The enrollment selection that the student chooses is binding for the entire academic year, including summer. Please review this website for eligibility, benefits (click here for Plan Years 2013-14 and before) (click here for Policy Year 2015-16) and termination information on the Mines Student Health Insurance Program.

NCAA Intercollegiate Athletes
Information about Intercollegiate Sports Coverage. NCAA Intercollegiate Athletes: See this page for coverage information.

International Students:
All International students enrolled in courses at the Colorado School of Mines are required to enroll in the SHIP. This requirement applies to all International Students (excludes International Scholars who have been awarded research, teaching or faculty appointments).
International students who have government, embassy or US-based company sponsorships may be able to waive the SHIP. 




Font Size